Many homeowners are aware that attic insulation is a good thing, but few are aware of why. Some simple questions and answers will enlighten the prospective purchaser of attic insulation and how it will help them retain heat and reduce cost to the home’s heating and cooling budget. Also, it is important to choose a contractor wisely to prevent and problems from surfacing at a later date with no recourse
The new building code for attic insulation is being upgraded for 2017 and that means a new minimum for R-value in your attic, what is it?
- As of Jan. 1, 2017 the povincial government has mandated and R-60 value as a minimum for attic insulation, and that turns into approximately 22 1/4 inches of insulation.
How do I decide on a contractor for my attic insulation work?
- Many factors can affect the choice of a contractor, but a there are few qualifiers that will help establish the credentials of a contractor. Credentials are very important, the installer should have a license, insurance and hold a certification for the work to be done. Experience is the best teacher and any installer you choose should have years of experience and expertise working with attic insulation. An installer’s professional reputation is extremely important to them and should be to you. Check any references provided by a perspective contractor and that will help you decide if they have a strong record servicing customers and providing quality workmanship.
Will attic insulation help protect my roof?
- When you install attic insulation it will help protect the roofing structure and shingles that cover the outer layer of he roof. Extreme heat and moisture can cause untold damage, heat will erode shingles and moisture will cause sagging in the trusses and mold will form if the environment isn’t properly cared for.
Does attic insulation work in the summer?
- Certainly, if you have an air conditioning system, it keep the cool air in the house and in turn your conditioner wont work half as hard to cool your home, and that saves money.
How long does it take to install attic insulation?
- The size of the attic will determine the time frame for installation, but in general for most homes it takes approximately two-three hours.
Are there any grants available to help with the costs of attic insulation?
- The Ontario government has programs available for homeowners who want to upgrade their attic insulation to help with energy savings and the maximum is $5000 per home for those who qualify.
How do I know what type of insulation works best for my home?
- A number of factors can come into play when choosing attic insulation, but loose fill fibreglass insulation is the one most recommended by contractors and auditors and it is the most widely used too.
Is there any advantage to installing loose fill attic insulation as opposed to other types of insulation?
- The biggest advantage that fiberglass insulation provides is that it can be installed at a lower density rating to obtain the same R-value as other products and that reduces the costs of the job overall.